Tuesday, June 8, 2010

To Sir, with love

Just got the agonising news that Mr. AP Soans, our English teacher in Sainik School, Thiruvananthapuram had expired in Madras early this morning. It was just a month back that I’d enquired from our classgroups as to whether anyone had his contact number or address but did not elicit any response. As the news of his death sinks in, I feel exremely bad that I’d not doggedly pursued on that issue. I’m going to make up for it in a small way, in that, I’d like to concentrate on Alymer Patrick Soans, the gentleman and the wonderful teacher that he was.

Mr. Soans had joined school, a year after me, in 1968, but we soon got to liking him for his disarmingly charming behaviour. He sincerely strived for the betterment of each one of us and he was particularly fond of me. We used to gather around his piano on Sundays and sing numbers that he would meticulously teach us. Harry Belafonte’s evergreen, ‘The Jamaican Farewell’ was one of the many and I too would run my fingers on the piano tabs, eagerly encouraged by him.

He was infectiously energetic, be it on the sportsfield, in the classroom or on the cultural platform. His diction was flawless and the way he used to get ragged, comes vividly into sharp focus in front of my eyes, when we used to knowingly pronounce ‘Charlotty’ for ‘Charlotte’ – the famous character of one of Dickens’ novels.

He got married a bit late and I still remember the way he used to blush coyly when he spoke about his wife, ‘Nalini’, with whom he was hopelessly in love. She’s a wonderful human being herself and I’ve no doubt that God had meant her to be his. May she have the strength to tide over these troubled times!

Mr. Soans sir, I’d always be grateful to you for making me what I’m today. They don’t make them teachers like you anymore. Thanks for all the patience that you showed in teaching me and my friends and we shall always remain indebted to you for your kindness. RIP. Affly, Rajeev.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Rajeev,
    Thank you for this wonderful tribute to my dad, I cannot say how much I as a son felt the same way like you and many of his students about my dad as he was my teacher too. I couldn’t have written a better tribute to him myself. He will always remain in the hearts and minds of his students and his loved ones which make me feel proud to have been his son and his student. Thank You
    Regards
    Christopher Soans

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Christopher,
    Thanks for your kind words and I'm sorry that I've responded to you so late. My cell at Delhi is 9871286901. Do contact me as and when it's convenient for you. Take care. Affly, Rajeev.

    ReplyDelete