Thursday, June 10, 2010

A personal dilemma!

Last night we’d a call from my aunt at Kidangoor near Kottayam. Her daughter, Malu, has just finished her graduation and is awaiting her results. A couple of months back, there was a campus interview by the INFOSYS, for selecting candidates for their BPO network. My niece was among the thirty who’re short listed. She’s now got an intimation to present herself for a final interview at Mysore, this Sunday after which she’d be posted into a BPO at Pune.
Her father, rightfully, wants her to pursue her studies. He’s of the opinion that once his daughter takes up the job she’ll neither have the time(thanks to the graveyard shifts) nor the inclination(studies would be the farthest in one’s mind once someone gets into a job) to get back into the frequency of studying and is therefore, against her going ahead with this project. But Malu is quite enthusiastic with the whole idea, ably supported by her mother. The three of them make their family and one can understand the tensions building up between them over the issue.
I’ve been given the dirty job of convincing Malu of dropping her plans. Earlier in the day, I’d a word with Kris Gopalakrishnan of INFOSYS on the topic who was wondering aloud as to why my niece requires this job and has asked me to tell her to concentrate on her studies for much better prospects which will come by.
Come evening, I’ve this job to do. I wouldn’t have minded facing a firing squad, instead! Because, I know that I’d be breaking the young lady’s heart for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment