Thursday, June 17, 2010

A touch of angst

Today, my sister Renjini aka Mini and her daughter, Ammu left by the Kerala Express for Thalavoor where my parents stay. They’re on their own as they hired a cab to reach the railway station and boarded the train and only then did my sister give me a call saying that everything had gone fine. Last night, Lekha and me had gone to her house at Dwarka to persuade her to come alongwith us so that, I could go and drop them at the station this morning. But she’d refused the offer as she wanted to spend the night at her place itself.

Since Ammu is going to study back home in Kerala, it would take some time for them to come back to Delhi and since her father, Sanil Kumar, is working in Doha, Qatar, their house in Delhi will be rented out for the duration. My sister had come to Delhi as a newly married bride in Jun ’92 and so, for her, it’s back from Delhi after 18 long years. And Ammu, though born at Kochi, has been brought up in Delhi. So, for the both of them, it’s gonna be a cultural shock and will need time to settle down. The greatest advantage, however, is that Ammu will get some fine inputs on life and ofcourse, love from her grandparents, which is essential for the healthy growth of the child. Here’s hoping that they settle down in the new environment smoothly and without much ado.

Mini should be taking up a teaching job in a school near Ammu’s college and that should keep her gainfully busy. It’s my fervent hope that they get whatever they wish for in the years to come. Lekha and me will definitely miss Mini’s company and Ammu’s chatter. On a personal level, my kid sister has always been protective about me and consequently, I feel lonely as though my local guardian has left me to fend for myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment