Monday, April 2, 2012

The romantic piano.

I've always been fascinated by this fantastic musical instrument. And I'd add that it has an aura of romance with  a touch of class! Probably, my opinion has come about from watching a lot of old Hindi movies where the hero always conveyed his feelings through a melody where the 'sacred' instrument was a must as an accompaniment. And my favourite has been 'Aaj ki raat mein ne......' featuring Dilip Kumar and Waheeda Rehman.

Why it has come suddenly in my thoughts is because of the news that the Burmese opposition leader, Aung San Suu Kyi possesses one and she plays it to unwind. So much so, that during her long imprisonment, people would slip past police pickets near her home simply to hear its sound and be reassured that she was alive! And what gives the right touch of intrigue is that the instrument was repaired and preserved by a close-knit group of men from the neighbourhood of Yangon so as to ensure the perseverance of the owner in her eternal struggle for democracy!

 The Burmese people should thank the piano for having preserved the sanity of its loved leader who's a romantic at heart!

My own tryst with the piano goes way back during my convent years, when Sister Anne used to play on the instrument and taught me to move the tabs to bring out my own version of 'Do - Re - Me - So - Fa - La - Ti'. This was carried on to a greater level, thanks to the efforts of Mr. AP Soans, our English teacher in the Sainik School.

But I must hasten to add that I'm still a rookie at it but would give anything to hear a good musical rendition on the instrument - anywhere, anytime!  

No comments:

Post a Comment