Sunday, April 1, 2012

The weekend diary.

31 Mar.

Once Rema, my sister, had arrived from Palakkad we set off for my home and mom, a trifle after 12. The drive was smooth and hassle-free with us stopping short of Ambalapuzha to have a quick bite of lunch which Lekha'd prepared meticulously. I've always found that food had outside the usual environment has an exquisite taste and it was no different, this time too!

While Lekha and Rema, had gone to pick up the cake that was ordered, I'd gone to the 'comfort station' at hand to relieve my bladder. I realised much to my horror, after the deed, that I wasn't able to pay the mandatory charge of Rs.2/- for using the facility - which was spotlessly clean and smelt nice of disinfectants - as my wallet was with Lekha. Very sheepishly I mumbled to the caretaker that I'd pay him a while later as I did not have any money on me. His quick gaze at my Cruze, parked nearby, and back at me 'spoke a lot' without uttering a single word and it was yet another occasion that I wished I'd shrunk into my clothes!

The evening cake cutting ceremony as part of the birthday celebrations of my niece, Ammu and my sister Rema was a raucous occasion with an accompanying round of photography, as usual. Mom was jubilant to see all of us together but what amazes me is that she's aged fast over the last couple of months, after dad's passing away. We, then updated ourselves with the happenings, thus far, insofar as mom's personal work was concerned, over candle light and the emergency light as we're following the 'Earth hour'.

While mom and me were discussing matters after dinner, I'd tried to work on my laptop but to my utter horror discovered that my portable telejack was misbehaving, yet again.

The day'd been full of activities - and that too, pleasant ones - and it was quite late when we hit the sack. Dad's presence and his occasional conversational gems were sorely missed. Earlier, on arrival, we'd spent a few quiet moments at the place where he was cremated and of course, the place where mom has arranged his personal effects, in the drawing room, has become our favourite spot for contemplation!


01 Apr.

We'd kicked off back for Kochi soon after breakfast and had picked up Lekha's sister and her two children, to send them off from our place, for their onward journey to Tirur. The journey was comfortable and free of glitches, all through.

In the evening, there again was a necessary social call, on my aunt - who's all of 76 years - who's been restricted to staying in her second floor flat thanks to immobility caused by arthritis. She'd to be gently prodded to shift to the ground floor flat, taken on rent just for her sake. The shift would facilitate her movements with an occasional outing to lighten her and have a change of environment to shake of the boredom. Her daughter had insisted that I do the egging on as the old lady'd never refuse my request!? We've collectively been able to convince her that the shift would do a world of good and she'll be doing so on 12 Apr, just prior to Vishu.

By the time we'd hit the sack, it was past midnight and the end of yet another day when personal tasks had been the mainstay!!

No comments:

Post a Comment