Friday, March 30, 2012

Me, the contended 'patriarch'(?)

This evening was the first General Body Meeting of the residential association after I'd been anointed its President. To ensure a 'decent' quorum, a movie for the children supported by a 'chaat' evening for the members were organised. I must admit that our efforts had not been in vain as more members - I'd like this number to increase further in the subsequent ones and I'm pretty confident about that - stopped, paused and lent me their eyes and ears as I'd exhorted them, at the outset.

I think my telling them that I feel like a contended patriarch touched a chord deep, within many of them, who'd heard my appeal and I gave off two reasons as to why I felt so, which were:-

       (a) the gentleman who feeds birds every morning, just below my window. And this lovely sight comes into
        view, usually after I finish chanting the 'Gayatri mantra'! To me, it appears that whatever he does is for the
        good of all of us in the colony.
 
       (b) the gaiety and laughter that rent the air in the evening as the children - an assortment of them from pram  
        going to teens - and their parents, in merriment, on the well manicured lawns bristling towards one end
        with playing equipment.

And I took the occasion to appeal to the children to help me in participating in the 'Earth Hour' tomorrow, which was strictly voluntary with an assurance that none of us would be doing 'policing' of any kind! I also felt obliged to tell the gathering that I would be off to render urgent assistance to my mom with the preamble that a few of them were aware of my dad's passing away in January. It was just to tell them that I wasn't running away after putting them to a task.

The endorsement was swift. As I was leaving the venue, with the movie coming live in the background, many came and offered me condolences with the advice that I must go and help out my mom and that, they'd ensure the 'earth hour' is followed in true letter and spirit.

What more do I need?  
       

No comments:

Post a Comment