Monday, March 5, 2012

Why the reticence?

Are we, Indians, the only people in the world who can be unhelpful, boorish and insensitive to others? This 'unique selling proposition' is most visible in government offices and to a lesser extent, at the offices where services are provided.

I've always wondered as to why people doing such jobs cannot be nice to their fellow beings especially when their being in a similar situation is highly likely. In a recent incident, it was my sister who bore the brunt of the shenanigans of a young lady, working at one of the counters of a nationalised bank. Her mistake? Asking a couple of doubts regarding an entry that had not been reflected in her pass book! Of course, my sister had then proceeded into the manager's cubicle to complain about one of his colleague's high handedness and finally had her way, with the manager literally doing the job himself!

What amazes me is that many of these people are willing to go to any length to get their things done and expect the others to toe their line.

As my sister was making her way out of the bank, she overheard the 'smarting' young lady comment, "the manager is not going to be there all the time. Let me see as to how she's able to get her work done, then". What does one talk about her brazen attitude? Why can't her superiors rein her in?

My sister tells me that she just walked away without reacting as I was awaiting her at a difficult parking place! 

No comments:

Post a Comment