Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Creeping inadequacies and other irritants.

1. Creeping inadequacies?

This morning I'd a harrowing time thanks to my inability to recall the name of a medicine that had to be bought. My man, Friday was at hand to witness my dismal performance and out of pity, he tried to egg me on to the right information! I tried and I tried but to no avail and the recall just did not happen. Finally, the doctor's prescription was retrieved and the impasse was solved.

A case of dementia? So early in life? I hope not, as I can't even imagine the distress and discomfort that would be caused to my near and dear ones if it were to happen. I'd like to believe that it was a passing, rogue moment!


2. The continuing agitation.

For the last eight days, life has been difficult for the 'mallus' who've made it a habit of browsing through the vernacular newspapers along with their morning cuppa tea (it must be worse for those who require the 'hot' news to answer the nature's call - ain't kidding because I've come across people for whom it's a necessity) thanks to a strike called by the newspaper agents. Speaking to the guy who's responsible for supplying my newspapers, I think I've got a fair idea of their viewpoint.

At present, the agent gets a commission of 28% per copy and they're asking for a hike to 33% based on the following perceptions about the publishing houses/owners:-
                (a) the newspapers have a wide circulation and are raking in enormous profits.
                (b) the interest accrued from the initial deposits of the agents(a must for getting the rights of
                 distribution) which, again runs into crores.

The majors in the field like the Malayala Manorama, the Mathrubhumi etc want the agents to call off the strike and then come on to the negotiating table. The agents, on the other hand, have taken a stand that they'd do so only after their demands are met. And the impasse continues.

A few newspaper owners sympathise with the agents and have agreed to give in to their demands. Hence, I get a copy of my English daily but without its Malayalam contemporary, I must admit rather sheepishly, that the exercise of reading lacks the requisite stimulus! My guy has, however, promised to supply me a copy of a small scale publisher's vernacular from tomorrow till the ordeal is over! Damn sweet of him!!


3. The mosquito menace.

Kochi is home to a variety of mosquitoes thanks to the numerous dirty and stagnant water bodies that crisscross/dot the city. I'm not dwelling on the accompanying stench which an average Kochiite has learnt to live with! The mosquitoes are immune to repellents - and there's a host of them in the market - and are adaptable and very, very environment friendly. And they seem to be aware as to when they should strike - about ten to fifteen minutes after the lights are switched off when the inmates are already floating into the realm of slumber and are reluctant to get up yet again - mosquitoes be damned!!

It needs to be seen as to how the civil administration tackles this issue as something needs to be done on a war footing!!! Till then, the repellents need to be rotated frequently for some effect, at least.


4. Frequent power interruptions!

With the mercury soaring, the power interruptions have become more frequent. It's a yearly phenomenon and the agony that it causes need not be described all over again. Good governance coupled with strict measures against power thefts and the setting up of more power generating units are the only way out of this vexed issue. I only wish that I was in Modi's Gujarat where he's ensured uninterrupted power supply, always and every time.

Oops, have I made an incorrect political statement?

No comments:

Post a Comment