Friday, March 2, 2012

Fracas on the road.

It was a busy evening, as usual, on the roads of Kochi. My saarthi, Tarakaraman, who's extremely good and patient behind the wheel was negotiating the traffic knot and trying to make a bit of sense out of the prevailing chaos.

We're approaching a junction and headed to negotiate the 'free left turn' that would take us to our destination when all hell broke loose. There was this uncouth guy (in his behaviour but snazzily dressed - obviously loaded with money and people like him usually think that they own the thoroughfare), who was actually headed straight but had egged his Honda City into our lane. My saarthi tried to squeeze his way through and in the process, grazed the other's rear view mirror with that of the Gypsy.

The guy, raising his voice, tried to intimidate my man and would have continued in that vein had I not intervened and acted a bit out of character while in uniform. Raising my voice, so that I could be heard above the din, I just queried as to what he was doing in our lane. It had an instant effect and the guy backed off, he even tried to sport a smile and negotiated his car so as to give us more room.

I do not know what would have happened had he not changed his tack on my intervention. It was an immature move on my part but my saarthi thinks me to be a hero!

I'm 'basking' in the glory but deep within me I know that it was an unsmart move!!

No comments:

Post a Comment