Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A simple soul.

Shashi Kant Singh - popularly called 'SK' by his team mates and friends - is one of my boys who's recently joined our outfit after a successful tenure at sea. He's proud of the fact that he belongs to the Jat community and  hails from western UP.

He has a younger brother who's studying in X class and is quite attached to his parents(the father concentrates on potato farming on a sizeable tract of land at Ghazipur, in UP). He is slightly built and short-statured unlike the usual characteristics of the Jats that one's so very familiar with. A hard working individual, he's reliable and keen. The thing that I find the best in him is his refreshing candour and he's disarmingly simple in his outlook towards life, in general! His needs are minimal and he's ever ready to help his team mates, so much so, that he's become quite popular among them within a short span time.

He's been married just a year back and as per the customs and traditions that we follow in the services, I'd handed over a card on his wedding anniversary, this morning. I was surprised to see tears in his eyes, and felt that he was making a fuss when he was profuse with his 'thanks' and said that this was the first time that he'd received a greeting card in life. I was further flustered when he touched my feet and I think I was clumsy when I'd patted him on his back!

And I can say without hesitation that the services is full of such men and one can rest assured that the country is in the safe hands of men like SK. May god be with him in all his endeavours and here's wishing that he gets whatever he wishes for!


Tailpiece.

No I don't claim to be a 'master' in the English language. But I must let you on to this about SK. While on duty, when he gives the mandatory report to me, he usually says and I quote, "Everything correct, sir. There's no any message". Isn't that cute?  

No comments:

Post a Comment