Sunday, May 20, 2012

Got me another friend!

Yesterday, I'd checked a guy at being slack in carrying out his duties at the sentry post. Actually, I was aghast that the chap could be casual while on his watch and that too, with live arms on his person!

I'd asked him about his personal particulars, tried to ascertain as to whether he was ill or was there anything troubling him. The answer was in the negative and I'd asked him to report to me, in a particular rig, as punishment for his recalcitrance. Accordingly, he'd come to me today at the appointed hour. Further quizzing revealed that he was indeed worried that his girl friend - doing her MBA at an institution at Muzaffarpur - had refused to take his calls for no rhyme or reason.

While emphasising the need to be alert on duty, I passed on a gem that one of my instructors - Naib Subedar Bhoopal Singh - had passed on to me during my training years at the Academy and I quote, "Always respect your weapon and it will stand you in good 'stud'(meaning 'stead')". After the ML(moral lecture), he was put at ease and asked to dial up his girl which elicited a prompt response. I spoke to the young lady, upon his insistence, to apprise her of the torrid time that she'd given him and the agony that he'd to go through, consequently! And her answer, "Sir, I wanted him to understand my place in his life" stunned me for a moment.

I can see that the poor guy's got himself a handful and I wonder as to whether all the military training that he's imbibed, thus far, is going to help him to tackle such volleys! But what was interesting and touching was the way that his face had lit up on hearing her voice.

Nitin - yes, that's his name - has become my latest friend. And I wish him and his lady love, Neeru(they're tying the knot, this November!) the very best!

No comments:

Post a Comment