Sunday, August 10, 2014

A Sunday outing.

Anto was dot on to ferry me across to the railway station for the 6 AM passenger. This time I'd allowed no glitches - reading glasses, cellphone and other necessary accessories were put together lest that any of them would be forgotten. The train, however, had taken off late by about ten minutes because an incoming train was delayed by that corresponding time.

Dunno whether because it was a Sunday, there were neither any long stoppages nor overtakings and the crossings were accomplished within a reasonable amount of wait. I was able to get down at Kottayam - my destination, as I'd to be at Sasi chettan's seventh day after death ceremony, at Puthupally - by 10 o'clock. The ceremony was winding up as I reached his residence and after going through the initial paces, I'd settled down to meet and interact with each and everyone present. I've found that it's on occasions like these that one comes to know and renew one's own close relationships, which in the normal course of leading one's life, are rarely pursued. And boy, wasn't it informative and the enduring feeling that I've carried back is the tremendous pleasure displayed by each in meeting me - definitely, a very humbling experience!

His wife and their two daughters were more communicative as they're out of their initial grief and shock. In graphic detail, they narrated his last few days and from the recount it was clear that he was aware of his impending departure. But what beats me is that he took it easy on his heart's condition that should have been sorted out with a bypass surgery or an angioplasty, at least, to take care of the three blocks that had formed in his blood stream......... I suppose the lethargy on his part to take remedial action was as per the script of his life and it was time for him to go!

I'd spent about two and a half hours with the family and was glad about my interaction. Further, I've made a mental note about calling on a few among them over the next few weeks.

The return journey was fine and devoid of glitches as I was reserved on the Delhi bound super fast train which fetched me at my place much before sunset and I could go for my customary walk as the rain seemed to have taken a long break.


Tailpiece.

Another one of those days when travel was hassle free sans delays and mishaps! 

No comments:

Post a Comment