Friday, August 29, 2014

Adieu, Ninayude Mamme!

She's Mrs Thangam Balaguru Soman but was familiar to all of us, including my grandparents, by the title, 'Nina's mom', Nina being her eldest daughter. She was all of 80 years and was under medications for a long time. She'd passed into the mist of time this morning, around 8 AM.

They used to be our neighbours when I was school going and staying with my grandparents. Nina, her brother and sisters were our playmates as we grew up together. Nina's dad used to go on frequent tours and it was incumbent on me and my junior uncle
to be their 'night watchmen'! Nina's mamma used to feed us with delicacies and her mom - we used to call her 'Paatti' - used to regale us with stories.

I'd spoken to her a couple of months back, when she'd expressed her desire to meet me and I'd promised her that I would. The news about her demise saddened me, rudely reminding me about my unfulfilled promise and I hate myself for not finding time for the tryst because I wasn't busy at all.

RIP, Nina's mom! My tears and prayers. I shall ever remain indebted to you for the kindness showered on me.


Tailpiece.

Nina had told me that, a letter that I'd sent the family during my days at the NDA, was among her favourite reading material by her bedside! Emotions choke me. I shall make up for it, in a minutely small way, by offering my last salute at the church tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment