Monday, August 4, 2014

The final bye and other tidbits.

I'd set off for Puthupally, at 6 in the morning to pay my last respects to Sasi chettan whose mortal remains were flown in from Bangalore last night. The train that I'd chosen was the same 'fast passenger' that had let me down last time simply because the departure time suited me. This time it didn't fail to disappoint(?) me in that it was late by two hours - the train should have reached Kottayam, my destination of the day, at 0930h - what with two overtakings and four crossings that had to be gone through!

I paid my final respects and met his wife, daughters and the 90 year old mother, who was extremely angry with god for having played foul by taking away her son instead of her (She's P Kesava Panicker's - PN Panicker's elder brother - eldest daughter and that explains my relationship with the family). By the time I was back home, it was a bit past sunset but I could go for my evening walk, dodging the rain!

     *                                  *                                   *

I was delighted to see a family consisting of the father, the mother and their three sons on my return journey. They're on vacation from Abu Dhabi and were Delhi bound for a week's sight seeing. What was particularly gladdening was the manner in which the three children looked after each other, especially by swapping the window side seats to each other's requirements - no fights, no calling the parents for arbitration. Before leaving them, I did congratulate the parents for the good upbringing of their children and the children, for their punctilious manners that was natural and not a put on act!

     *                                  *                                    *

The evening news was all about the hypocrisy of the political parties towards the run up to the UP Assembly elections. The English questions in the Civil services examination will now carry no weightage. These politicians while trying to project an 'anti-English stand' have ensured that their children were educated in English medium schools. Whom are they trying to kid, I wonder!

I'm sure that the people of UP cannot be swayed by such gimmickry. What amazes me is that the young politicians have also joined the hypocrisy. Why can't they take a realistic stand for a change and get their elders see the light of reason?


Tailpiece.

Rains seem to have subsided, at least, for the moment. Hope tomorrow is a sunny day for a change!



No comments:

Post a Comment