Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Finally, at the service station!

My Chevy had required repairs for quite a while but I could not take it to the service station because of tours planned earlier and journeys that had to be undertaken at short notice. I'd actually scheduled for its admission yesterday but delayed it because of my dash to Puthupally. It seemed conspiratorial, in that, it had begun to pour rather heavily this morning and I was wondering as to whether the body work and painting were advisable during such weather.

But shedding all my doubts, I'd driven to the servicing station, through the rains, for carrying out the necessary repairs. The Customer Adviser's opening question, pointing at the dent on the port tailboard, highlighted the delay in offering my vehicle and I quote, "Sir, when did that happen? It has  begun to rust". It almost seemed that he was castigating me for my negligence and I meekly accepted my mistake and did not offer an alibi. In fact, I did feel guilty for sure!

The Chevy would be delivered on Saturday. Meanwhile, the porch looks empty and desolate.

         *                                *                                 *

The forenoon outing was packed with a lot of small jobs and I'd gone around doing each, after getting off the return bus at the east gate of the temple. The places that I'd to visit were almost equally spaced and therefore, walking through was the option out, avoiding traffic and sporadic rain. By the time I was back home, it was a trifle past our usual lunch time and mom had just finished her's, saying that she'd have waited had she known that I'd return then.

         *                                 *                                 *

Mistaking the break in the rain to be a prolonged one, I'd ventured out for my evening walk, without an umbrella, but armed with my customary walking stick to shoo away any misguided dog that came my way. It was as I turned round the fourth bend that I saw the thick, dark, ominous clouds in the south western sky threatening to release its contents and I'd called for an auto rickshaw to get back home. Enroute, I'd collected a few medicines for mom.

Mom's cryptic comment, "Why don't you carry an umbrella with you in this sort of weather? You never know as to when you'll require it". I didn't have an answer yet again!


Tailpiece.

Today's newspapers had a bit more interesting things to read, what with a host of people writing their memoirs and experiences. The underlying factor that emerges from all these 'rewinds' is that most of the heroes turn out to be awfully flawed!

No comments:

Post a Comment