Sunday, August 3, 2014

'Pal, pal dil ke paas.....'

This is a number that never fails to impress me and it has a way of taking me into a feel good mood every time I hear it. This evening, on the musical programme, 'Raag Rang' on the Indiavision channel it was aired much to my delight.

The number, whose lyrics were penned by Rajendra Krishan and music scored by Kalyanji Anandji, has been sung by Kishore Kumar in the Hindi movie, 'Blackmail'. It has been picturised on a petite and cute Rakhee with Dharmender moving in and out of the frames, in the dream sequence. I've always felt that it has all the necessary ingredients in it to capture the mood of a viewer. I ain't contesting the fact that there are many numbers in various languages that arrest the senses of the audience for their lyrics, music, texture, quality and the sequence of the visual frames that go with the score.

This one's special and you'd appreciate it when I narrate my initial acquaintance with it.

I had seen the movie at the National Defence Academy, as a cadet. There was something else that happened that evening which I remember vividly, even to this day. The Academy Cadet Adjutant wasn't very happy with the standard of discipline of the cadets and had chosen the post-movie transit from the cinema to the Cadets' Mess to 'straighten' us out and towards that end, everything conceivable was brought to bear from his repertoire of front rolls, frog jumps, side rolls and other physical exercises.

The 'Walking out' rig that we're wearing was drenched in sweat by the time the 'straightening out session' was over. I remember having wolfed down the scrumptious supper on order, with an additional helping of the 'cream of diplomat' pudding saved for me by the ever indulgent, ever smiling Baalam, our Hunter Squadron's head waiter who was fond of me!

As we walked back to our Squadron, post supper, happy and contended, I'd requested Chandu Sharma - a course mate with a great voice - to recount the opening stanza of the song all over again..... and hearing him, it was pure ecstasy!


Tailpiece.

No amount of fagging could demoralise the indomitable spirit of a cadet whose needs in life were paltry and downright simple! So, sing with me, 'Pal, pal dil ke paas.....' 

No comments:

Post a Comment