Tuesday, June 18, 2019

It saddened me!

Had got up around 3, to ease my bladder and quickly washed up to say my prayers. After that I'd floated back to sleep and got up on the dot, at 6. Went through the chores and was ready well in time. Maman and I set off to meet the minister who'd be the chief guest for tomorrow's programme. He was pleasant and exchanged pleasantries with us and said that he'd arrive at the venue, on the dot, despite the fact that the Assembly was in session.

Had breakfast with Manu, our sa'arthi, at a nearby hotel. Many people had dropped by at the Foundation and it was nice to meet each of them; many of them expressed their happiness to see me back. Today's errands included giving paper and matter for printing at the nearby press, giving the two trophies for inscribing the names of the would-be-recipients and the Corporation Office, to book the Gandhi Park, at East Fort as venue for the street play - Aksharajwala - being put up by the Janamaitry Police.

It was nice meeting Anil, the director and SI Nuzumuddin, the lead player of the show and I look forward to their attachment with the Foundation for the next one month, commencing tomorrow.

The next errand, around lunchtime, was to the Corporation Office to book the Gandhi Park for tomorrow. The dirty corridors and the unhelpful staff had put me off right at the beginning as I entered the dull, grey building. Aji, my sa'arthi, had to park the vehicle outside the premises and remained on call. I had gone straight to the section concerned and had met the lady clerk, Dhanya, who was dealing with the subject. She'd asked me to deposit Rs.3,717/- in the nearby bank along with a security deposit of Rs.500/-

It was then that I'd said that it's a government sponsored programme and therefore, couldn't I get the facility free because it was a noble programme - encouraging reading/digital reading among the masses where the people, especially the poor, would be provided the assistance free of cost? She told me that I'd have to meet the Mayor and I dashed off to his office. There was a very helpful staff member in his Secretariat - Gireesh and thanks to him, I could meet the Mayor without delay despite the fact that there were many who were awaiting their turn.

He sounded genuine and scribbled "Give them the facility free. See the possibility of giving it free". Armed with this after the letter's in and out movements were recorded in the secretariat register, I'd rushed back to Dhanya to complete the formalities because I thought that such remarks are put down, which barely have any significance, just to complement the language used between the staff within the secretariat!

But my hopes were dashed when Dhanya, refused to do the booking with a cryptic reply, "I can't do the booking because, he has written to ascertain the feasibility and he might turn around tomorrow to ask me as to why I'd given you the approval when all he'd said was to ascertain the feasibility". Realising that the young lady had a point, I quickly retrieved the letter and walked off from the desk, feeling utterly dejected at the failed errand.

This was after she'd made me wait as she went about her lunch break, from about 1305 to 1400 hrs. She'd finished her lunch by about 1320 hrs and was chatting with two other colleagues of her's while registering the fact that I was waiting all the while!

I suppose, for many of us, the lunch time is sacrosanct and the wretched 'ordinary citizen' had all the time in the world to wait and experience the government servant's idiosyncrasy.

And finally, why did the mayor write such a remark?

We - Maman, ammayi, Chambu and me, along with Aji - went to the KIMS Hospital for maman's medical review. The meticulous doctor has changed a couple of medicines and changed the dosages.
We, then, returned to the Foundation to join the others and complete the remaining work. Posters and important mail were sent by speed post to the district headquarters.

We were back home by 10 and brought packed dinner enroute!


Tailpiece.

The day was hot and humid. The rain seems to have taken a break and the heat will only go away once the monsoon resumes.


No comments:

Post a Comment