Monday, June 17, 2019

To Thiruvananthapuram.

Had got up at 4, gone through my chores while Lekha had gone about making my packed breakfast. Was ready well in time and I'd a bit of time to talk to the ladies before I left the house to board the early morning train. Hamid had arrived on time and dropped me at the station. The queue was just beginning to get long, while I collected my ticket to Thrissur, bought the day's newspapers - Deccan Chronicle and Malayala Manorama - and embarked on the long trudge to my train, waiting on platform no.3.

Saw a decently empty compartment towards the centre of the train and hoisted myself on to a window side single seat when a pretty-young-lady smilingly told me that it was a ladies compartment. Hiding my embarrassment and muttering my apology, I quickly changed carriages when an uncouth youngster came and occupied the seat opposite the one that I'd selected, with his backpack resting by his feet making it difficult to sit comfortably. I'd to correct the guy to set things right and after that he didn't make eye contact with me throughout the short transit to Thrissur! He was hurt because I'd corrected him!!

Spent the next two hours at the new waiting room at Thrissur because the Kannur - Thiruvananthapuram Shatabdi was late by over 20'. Had got a nice seat at the centre of the chair car and the journey was peaceful. The packed breakfast of puries and potatoes tasted heavenly and Lekha had really done it well. Lunch was at the refreshment hall and Manu had come to pick me up from the railway station.

I'd quickly joined up with the others at the Foundation, to finish the pending work. In between, I'd gone to select two mementos to be awarded on the Reading day and subsequently, to two newspaper offices to tell them that the matter regarding the Reading Day, given to them yesterday, didn't find a mention in the day's editions and the editors have promised me that I'd be able to read it in their editions tomorrow! Well, I shall keep my fingers crossed till I see that tomorrow!!

Had a light dinner of dosas, sambar and chutney with the boys and made our way home a trifle earlier than our usual time. Was dog tired doing nothing, I must admit!

It was a long day indeed!


Tailpiece.

The two schools have got in touch with me and I should be able to fix the dates of the handing over of books on my mom and dad's names by tomorrow, after taking stock of the programmes that we've fixed during the Reading Month celebrations.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment