Wednesday, June 19, 2019

The 24th Reading day - Reading Month Celebrations begin.

Yesterday's errand was successful in that the newspapers had published the material that we'd given!

Had got up around a half past 3, eased my bladder, washed my face and said my prayers before turning off to sleep yet again. Was up at 6, went through my chores and was ready on time. We were at the Foundation 10' later, collected important pieces of items and made my first visit to the Kanakakkunnu Palace. The rest of the staff had to be ferried and so, made yet another trip to the Foundation and back.

The school children were a trifle late to arrive but once they turned up, it was a continuous flow and we'd about 400 students drawn from six different schools! Meanwhile, Rema-Padmakumar, Indira kunjamma, Reshmi, Kripa-shankar, Madhavan, Suma kunjamma, Parameswaran-Kala, Santhi and Aniyan had arrived, representing the family; Pappi kunjamma fetched up late.

The minister came in at the allotted time and the programme went off like clockwork. The highlight of the day - a masterstroke by Maman - was Advocate Appukkuttan, Secretary of the State Library Council reading out the Reading Day pledge to the audience! The Foundation and the State Library Council have had a bitter sweet relationship till now!

Chunakkara Janardanan Nair sir and EK Krishnan Nair sir were felicitated during the occasion - the former's son collected the trophy while the latter (He's 90 now) - accompanied by his daughter - collected his award. And wasn't he thrilled?

50 students did not get the light refreshments and a vehicle with one of our guys was dispatched to collect additional ones. It was an Indira ma'am initiative and I did give her a high five! We, maman, I and Chambu made a dash to the SMV school to attend the event organised by the State Library Council where the chief minister was the chief guest. The time was a half past 12.

Skipped lunch and went to St John's School - within the premises of the Mar Ivanios College - for the Reading day celebrations there. Our car had a breakdown and the Headmaster, Mr. Wilson George came and picked us up! Damn sweet of him!! The programme was very nicely organised!!!

Had lunch at 4!

Meanwhile, the press releases were ready and I, along with Sudha ma'am went to hand them over to the news bureaus of four newspapers. Dropped Sudha ma'am and I was just back in time for accompanying maman to the Doordarshan Kendra for panel discussions that lasted an hour - Chambu, Aji and I'd the privilege of sitting as spectators within the studio. Met quite a few more people who have become friends for life, I think!

At 13' past 7, I remembered Muthachhan because that was the time he'd passed into the mist of time, 24 years back. I can never forget the unrestricted love and affection that he'd showered upon me, during his lifetime! We were racing towards the Doordarshan kendra at that time!!

It was comparatively an early return to home...... I didn't realise the speed with which the day passed!


Tailpiece.

Had asked the ever-efficient Subha of the bank, where I've my account, to transfer my contributions to two schools - the Thalavoor UPS and the Kura GLPS - in my parents' names where the functions are being organised on 21 Jun!      

No comments:

Post a Comment