Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Why 18 holes?

Why couldn't golf courses have 10 or13 or21 holes?

Well, it seems that in year of 1858, the board of St Andrews in Scotland sat all day settling this very question. There were then 7-hole courses, 13-holecourses, 15-hole courses. At one time St Andrews itself was made up of 22 holes and Montrose had 25.

Finally, after a full day's discussion, it is said that one of the Scottish members of the board and a member  in good standing spoke as follows : "Well, you good gentlemen have been considering this situation for many hours and I have been hoping you would decide along lines agreeable to me without any insistence on my part. I see, however, that I must speak for myself.

"As you know, it has long been my custom to start out for a game of golf with a full bottle of Martin's Scotch whisky in my bag - not, you understand, for any reason except that the inclemency of our local climate makes it expedient for me to have a medicinal nip on each tee''.

"Now gentlemen, I have here a small glass, which contains about an ounce and a half when not filled so full that a drop may escape. Naturally I find it pleasant to play golf so long as there is a drink left in the bottle. On the other hand, it would be unhealthy for me to continue with the game when the bottle is exhausted".

"I have found that one bottle will fill this little glass just 18 times, so it has been my custom to play 18 holes each afternoon, no more, no less. I see no possible way of deviating from this custom, unless the bottles are made larger, which I fear would be too marked a change in our manufacturing life".

So, that's why golf courses have 18 holes.

If you don't believe it, just take an ounce and a half jigger, fill it full, but not too full and you'll get 18 drinks out of a "fifth" of scotch.

 
Tailpiece.

Got up at a trifle before 6, the chores and was ready by a quarter to 10. The maid was at work today. Wished my classmate and course mate, G Ajith Kumar, many happy returns and wasn't he thrilled".

Jishnu from the bank, had sent all connected documents to the CA to file my IT return, yesterday. By this, afternoon, Mr Denny had filed my IT Return 2023.

A quiet evening with the usual chores. 

No comments:

Post a Comment