Thursday, April 8, 2010

Do I give that deadly feeling?

I’ve a youngster Narender in my directorate who’d joined us almost a year back, completely disgusted with everything about the service. Prior to his arrival, he’d undergone an aborted court martial and was placed on the ‘service no longer required’ list. He’d almost resigned to the fact that he’d have to leave the service rather unceremoniously and consequently, he was angry with the system, spewing venom at anyone and everyone whom he did not consider ‘right’ as per his perception and the two main targets of his ire were, CGS Khan and Kashmir Singh with whom he’d direct confrontation, while working with them.

It did not take time for us to realize that the youngster was a victim of his own hot headedness, though in a well meaninged way, and was very badly handled by his superiors all through his service life. We, in the directorate, took him under our wings and decided to help him out of his discomfort. The fact that the then COP was Matloob Aslam Khan’s course mate and his good friend, made matters easy and Narender was cleared off his past stigma and promoted to his present rank. He has changed considerably, in that, he’s now willing to listen to the others’ point of view and has picked up the habit of laughing at his own self!

I'm fond of the youngster and I can unhesitatingly say that the feelings are mutual. But today, he tells me in one unguarded moment, that though he wants to frequent my place, he has refrained from doing so because he’s scared of me, as he feels that I’ve not let him come close enough to me. He also did say that I can never make friends with anyone!

I strongly believe that relationships are for keeps. And therefore,I do take my own time to make friends with people and do assign levels of closeness with the others based on their temperament, qualities and above all, my very own personal experiences with them. I must admit that I might have set seemingly high standards of behaviour but rest assured, I work consciously to attain them and from my viewpoint it’s not that difficult at all. I sincerely hope that I don’t put off people by that aura of ‘deadliness’!!


Tailpiece.

I have just now finished a long conversation with my Amma and it's satisfying to note that they've had a good pilgrimage.

No comments:

Post a Comment