Sunday, April 25, 2010

Out of sync with Gen Zee?

As I sit late into the night to write my thoughts for the day, I go through the day’s events and find that I’m totally blank about what I should dwell upon. In the background, I can hear old melodies wafting through the radio and am temporarily transported in time to those halcyon days as a child with my favourite elders around me, who while doing their work was also nurturing my growth and overall development. Why did I have to grow up and why did I have to lose my loved ones who really mattered to me? The essence of life, as I painfully understand, as I too hurtle towards the ultimate truth – death!

I’m brought back to the present by loud laughter from Lekha who is watching a comedy based programme on television. Incidentally, while watching the evening edition of the news, I realized that today’s emphasis is on the IPL cricket all right but sadly on the game being played outside the stadium between the BCCI and Lalit Modi and not the actual final!!

My niece, Ammu, has finished the last of her entrance examinations that she’s attempting viz the AIEEE and it's the start of her real break after months of toil and studies. She seems to be happy that it’s all over and is already looking forward to being in Kerala, with her grandparents, by this weekend and for an extensive travel programme trying to meet as many people as possible. Here’s wishing them a well deserved break – my sister, Minni, was also under pressure, studying literally alongwith her daughter, being a teacher, herself! But what Ammu, perhaps, has not realized is that an important chapter of her life has come to an end!


Tailpiece.

This evening, my niece had passed on a riddle to me. Mama, ‘what’s the opposite of IIT?’ I was totally flummoxed, gave up without much ado, and confessed that I was lost after attempting a feeble 'TII' and she'd gleefully ticked a wrong against my answer. ‘The answer is, YOU YOU COFFEE!’ I suddenly realized that I do not understand my niece and her generation!

No comments:

Post a Comment