Saturday, July 3, 2010

A day of myriad hues

I cry for you, Yamuna
Today was my Muthachan’s(PN Panicker) remembrance day as per the Malayalam calendar. Me and my maman, who’s currently visiting us, went to the Nigambodh Ghat to offer the ‘shraadh pindh’ . The drive, though long, was event free and the whole sequence of activities went with clockwork precision. There was one dichotomy though. The ‘pindh’ or the offering had to be finally transferred to my grandfather’s soul by immersing it into the River Yamuna and I’d hired a rowing boat for the purpose to go midstream, as the shore was totally contaminated and emanating of stench. As we went through the actions, as told to us by the ‘panditji’ who’d done the pooja, I felt guilty for having contributed to the contamination of the river!
My hopes dashed in World Cup Football - 2010
My interest in the ongoing football world cup matches has diminished over Brazil’s ignominious exit out of the quarter final match of last night. What a shame? As I punch these thoughts in, Argentina is also out of the reckoning. That serves them right as I was very sure right from the start that their coach, Diego Maradona’s antics were far fetched and not that would have made them world class beaters!!
Radhappa chettan, now a memory
This evening, around 4 o’clock, Radhappa chettan’s body was consigned to the flames and his cheerful, loving countenance that I was so familiar with had been reduced to memory. The TV grab showed the moment as his body was slid into the furnace and I was left too dumb to react as the truth of life sunk in. RIP Radhappa chetta and I shall find solace in your vast musical offerings , thanks indeed. I’m proud to be related to you during this life of mine and here’s hoping that we continue to have our association in the lives to come!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment