Monday, July 12, 2010

Rains! And it's chaos in Delhi!!

I’ve always preferred the dry heat of Apr, May and Jun of Delhi over the wretchedly humid and sultry heat of Jul, Aug and a considerable part of Sep. While many may shrug this off as a mallu’s double standards (as the sultry heat is so very common in the coastal state of Kerala), I must quickly reiterate that Delhi’s swelter is harsher than its counterpart in Kerala.
I remember my Geography teachers explaining to me the vastness of the Indo- Gangetic plain, with its fertile soil and high productivity with hardly any drainage capability. I could never visualize this aspect till I started living in Delhi and by God, now I’m so familiar with it that I shudder at the thought of rains continuously for even over a couple of hours. Huge puddles of water mushroom all over and driving through the otherwise good roads become a nightmare stretching the very limits of one’s patience. This pathetic state is further aggravated by PWD work, the electricity board’s cabling work or the beautification work as a prelude to a prestigious event – currently, the despair is mainly on account of the preparations for the forthcoming Commonwealth Games.
Along with the difficulties cited above come long power outages and frequent interruptions to the water supply for domestic consumption and may I remind you that I’m considered to be from the privileged lot as I stay in one of the best addresses of Delhi! At times, I feel that I'm in some remote rural area where development is yet to arrive.
And the powers that be claim that Delhi is a world class city. Isn’t that a joke?

Tailpiece.
Spain has won the FIFA cup. I must admit that I’d loved their earlier matches compared to their performance in the finals. Holland, the team that I’d rooted for, fell by the wayside – but why did they resort to rough play?

No comments:

Post a Comment