Sunday, December 25, 2011

Flirting with Dame Luck!

We're on our return journey. The weather was lovely, the Cruze was purring and performing well. We're listening to some lovely music on the FM while having snatches of conversation about a lovely building, a garden that was being passed or the way a fellow traveller had beautifully gunned his car and whizzed past us. At the speeds that were being touched, we're comfortably poised to reach our home at Kochi before sunset.

And yes, we'd that break at the all too familiar farm before the incident that I'm gonna narrate!

I was cruising at 120 kmph on the fast lane. There's an autorickshaw in front and a pick up truck to my left which seemed to be doing a similar speed. No sooner had I taken off my foot from the accelerator, I realised that the rick had put on its indicator to turn off right at the break in the centre meridian that was closing in and I realised that there was no other option for me but to do a fishtail and squeeze past the pickup and the rick!

As I carried out the maneuver, I'd begun to sweat despite the comfortable air conditioned environment that I was in and every passing second seemed to be irritably long. I must have done it fairly okay because firstly, Lekha didn't find anything amiss and secondly, the pickup guy did not give me an angry hoot on his horn for the embarrassment that I'd caused!

Deep within, however, I realised that I'd been idiotic to do such a thing as it could have resulted in a major tragedy with all the three vehicles thanks to a foolish act of mine. But I suppose, Dame Luck was on my side!!

No comments:

Post a Comment