Saturday, December 31, 2011

Those vacant looks!

I was on the road yet again on an errand and just ahead of my Gypsy was an open truck, overloaded with cattle, on the way to the slaughter house.

I'm always amazed and a trifle sad when I see such animal laden vehicles. Amazed because of the stoic calm that the animals invariably display despite the fact that they know their ends are near and sad, because of the lives that they've led thus far. Probably, the souls withiin the cattle know that they've to go through this life of their's as per the script of their lives written by the master script writer.

A positive way of looking at it is that man is doing these animals a favour when he slaughters them as it brings an end to their wretched lives. But were their lives really so just because we, pompous humans, think so?

There I go in a cyclic. Have I lost it? Certainly not, but whenever I see animals being herded away like this, something deep within me stirs. Wonder why?

No comments:

Post a Comment