Monday, December 12, 2011

Some trivia.

1. Sleep uninterrupted.

My young cousin, Sandip, is currently with us and doing a course which would help him in his career advancement. He's a Third Engineer in the merchant marine and has cut his teeth on a series of tankers, that he's been fortunate to serve on, thus far. Laid back yet keen, he's an enormous capacity to sleep in a jiffy - a trait, that he shares with me!

My friends and course mates recount the incident, while at the Academy, of yours truly having gone to sleep while travelling in a '3 tonner' as a standing passenger. I find it a bit hard to believe though, because I don't even remember the incident and I've this sneaky feeling that they're only trying to pull my leg over this peculiar quality of mine. But yes, I do hold a record of sorts - against my name - in that, I slept through an entire Sunday without interruption of any sort - not even for meals!

Sandip has a habit of being on his cellphone, throughout, talking to somebody or the other. I do admire his stamina on that score. The beauty is that he's engaged and will get married by August, next year. It's my fond hope that his optimism, his boyish innocence and his ability to sleep - almost instantly on touching the bed - continue to be his assets in the years to come.


2. Inadvertently let them down!

In our residential area, there's been an enthusiastic thrust on outdoors on the part of its inmates and age has been no barrier. It's really nice to see the huge conglomeration of people, under the glare of the floodlights, indulging in physical activity every evening with the accompanying choruses of the children at play! Meanwhile, a young lady had taken up the responsibility of teaching yoga, at 6, every Sunday morning and had told me in no uncertain terms that she expected me to join the crowd which I'd accepted. However, it was not to be!

My maasi had fetched up on Saturday evening, we'd got down to talking and by the time we hit the sack it was well past midnight and I'd quite conveniently forgotten about my promise. I felt sheepish seeing a sizeable and enthusiastic crowd at the lush green lawns, going through the paces of yoga, from my window after getting up late.

This evening, a few of them had accosted me to say as to how badly I'd let them down the previous day and I've made yet another promise that I'd definitely join them the next time. A few of them have even offered to give me a 'wake up' alarm to ensure that! Am greatly touched and humbled by their show of warmth and kindness!! Hope I don't let them down ever again!!!
  


No comments:

Post a Comment