Friday, February 17, 2012

At zero point.

We're at zero point Nagpur - the geographical midpoint of India - at 1233h this afternoon. Sekhar - my squadron mate from the Academy - alongwith his wife, Vijaya were taking us on a conducted tour of the city. For our sake, the elegant lady had taken a day off from school - which  was damn sweet of her!

Lunch was at an ethnic joint and I relished the local delicacies of 'pitla and bhaakri ki roti' combined with 'thali peet' and 'puran poli'. It was an exquisite experience for my gastronomic system and our way of thanking the efforts of our gracious hosts! It was also just before it that we'd the privilege of meeting my classmate and coursemate, John V, his wife, the ever friendly, Manisha alongwith the bridegroom - the smart young Joel. John V was sentimental in that I'd made it for the occasion and readily pardoned me for rushing back to my home to take part in the 41st day ceremony after my dad's passing away, without attending the reception, post wedding tomorrow!!

The 'sangeet ceremony' at a nearby hall, in the evening, was a grand celebration where Lekha and me had the privilege of meeting young Joel's object off attention, Pallavi. They make a handsome couple and it was our proud privilege to bless them on the occasion. A superb band was in attendance and I too got pulled onto the dance floor by two elegant, young ladies who gave me the dutch courage by their continuous  attendance. If I were to say that I'd set alight the dance floor with my dancing, you readers have the right to call me a congenital liar because I was sure that the audience did suffer my unconventional dance moves, that resembled a patient's reaction to therapeutic electrical impulses, with a rare sense of indulgence reserved for the underdog!!!

At the end of it, as we bid goodbye, John V's tight hug made my eyes misty. A small gesture on my part could generate so much of feelings was something that overwhelmed  and humbled me on the occasion. However much I try to believe it, I ask this question to myself, 'do I mean so much to people?' If it's affirmative, then I must be hurting many more by my insensitive and thoughtless behaviour most of the time.

Gosh, I seem to be sounding like someone at the 'confessional'!


Tailpiece.

I would not be doing my duty if I did not mention about the duo - Perot and Pebble - who exhibited unrestrained love and affection to us all through the 36 hours that we're there. Perot - meaning 'dog' in Spanish is a lovable golden yellow Labrador and Pebble, a spirited Dalmatian whose black spots resembled scattered pebbles! How does one thank these animals who'd showered their attention  and love on us? Absolutely delightful four year olds!!        

No comments:

Post a Comment