Friday, February 24, 2012

Where - o - where's he?

Every day, as I go from my home to the office and back, he's been a regular sight at the railway level cross that falls enroute. Today, much to my surprise, I've realised that he's been missing  and that too, for the past few days.

I must sheepishly admit that I do not know his name. He's fairly tall (over 51/2 ft, as I reckon) with a slight hint of a stoop due to advancing age but looks fairly healthy with a hint of a smile all the time and a faraway, wistful look and is dark complexioned. He moves from one vehicle to the other - waiting for the level cross to open - asking for alms. He's never perturbed if someone were to shoo him away and mind you, he never approaches me when I'm in uniform but obliges me with an affable smile. So, on Saturdays, when I'm in civvies and driving my Cruze I hand over his share to enable him to have a satisfying meal (notwithstanding the fact that I advocate that we should not encourage begging and hence, must desist from giving alms!). What I find remarkable in him is that his pride is intact while he goes about his daily ritual or is it just a mask to cover his seething discontent, deep within, in having to demean himself in this manner? I would never know.

I find that I'm missing him thanks to the last one year of our quaint relationship. Wonder what has happened to him? Hope he's keeping well. And I have decided to know more about him when we meet next, of course, at the level cross!

God, please take care of him till then!!

No comments:

Post a Comment