Sunday, February 5, 2012

The rebel in me.

Dateline 04 Feb.

I was once again on my evening walk and was skirting the busy main road when I heard the all too familiar wail of an ambulance. Some patient being rushed to the nearby hospital and time is precious - it seemed to say! Every passing second is a 'do-or-die'(pun intended) situation for the person in that ambulance.

And the road was choc-a-bloc with vehicles trying to beat the evening rush hour - impatience coupled with frayed nerves brought out the real personalities out of the people behind the wheels. One such obnoxious guy was blocking the ambulance's move because he refused to budge - the wail notwithstanding! I was shocked about the guy's insensitivity and felt miserable and impotent, albeit for a while.

 Then I dunno what took over me when I moved towards the car with the recalcitrant driver. One yank of his door and I pulled out the guy from his seat. Shoving him aside, I got into the car and moved it just enough to let the ambulance pass through. Satisfied with what I'd done, I quickly got out of the car and retrieved the car back to its rightful owner who gave me a dazed but grim grin.

 Looking around, I could get approving glances from many of the stranded drivers and a smiling approval from the policeman on the beat. Feeling shy about the unwanted limelight, I was surprised that my anger had once again brought out the rebel in me!

But I felt light as I was sure that I was right for a change, this time!!    

No comments:

Post a Comment