Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Faux pas - on my part, of course!

1. No reciprocity.

 I'd to attend a formal function where one jostled with a lot of people - familiar and unfamiliar! I must admit that it was a well attended gathering. It was during one of the breaks that Sam, my friend, introduced me to this accomplished lady who has carved a niche for herself for the stand that she'd taken on social issues. As we started our conversation, I'd offered my hand to shake her's but it was quite a while before I realised that she'd not reciprocated though we're pursuing with our conversation, all the while.

I, then, sheepishly withdrew my hand on realising it, without breaking the flow of our interaction. As we came across some other guests, we broke off with a promise to chat up later.

But going through the incident later, I felt sheepish and small to have exceeded the limits of propriety expected of me by what my mom had taught me a long time back. "You must never offer your hand to a lady first but do so only after she offers her's first".

I'd broken the code of conduct. It definitely was a bad show on my part! Sorry, Ma.



2. A quiet snub?

We've four lifts in our building which is actually a great boon in easing congestion during peak hours. This evening, while I was waiting for one there was a young lady waiting for the other and it so happened that the lift that I'd called for fetched up first.

I, then, called her up to join me as a matter of normal courtesy but her reaction made me feel that I'd done something blasphemous. Was she only irked with the fact that her lift was taking its own sweet time? Or did she feel that I was being petulantly triumphant on my lift having come before her's and was being falsely magnanimous? I would never know!

It was a snub, anyways!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment