Wednesday, February 1, 2012

An unusual tryst.

Towards the end of my customary evening walk, I'd gone into a nicely stocked lending library near our premises and was trying to pick up a couple of books for leisure reading.

I was distracted by a sweet young girl who was standing close and watching me intently. On striking a hush hush conversation with the young one, I came to know that she was Megha, studying in class II in a nearby school. She was insistent that I meet her mother, who was then collecting her books at the counter. I was struck by the fact that she stiffened on seeing me and I closed in the remaining gap between us purposefully, holding the li'l one's hand. I was really curious to know as to why she'd reacted so - did I give an impression to the others as an obnoxious boor or a cad?!

After exchanging the initial pleasantries, we got down to talking. Her tale is indeed a sad one. Shalini is a widow at the young age of 32, having lost her husband in a road accident a few months back. She's slowly beginning to pick up the tempo of her life, aided by her parents and reading helps her to pep up.

And here's the twist - I resembled her late husband. Hence, the child's gleeful though doubtful acceptance and her initial reaction! Boy, isn't that something straight out of a movie's storyline?

I've only heard about one having seven others in resemblance but trashed it as yarn - a 'doppelganger' phenomenon - in this astounding world that we live in! I must see Megha's dad's photograph when I visit them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment