Thursday, July 12, 2012

Adieu Dara Singhji!

Dara Singhji has passed into the mist of time. I've always considered him to be the original brand ambassador for India's rural simplicity and naivete.

During my childhood, I was fascinated to hear the stories about the 'Dara Singh - King Kong' wrestling matches where he used to pin the latter with relative ease on many occasions.

And I'm sure that there would be a generation, in this country, who'd definitely conjure up Dara Singhji's visage when anyone talks about Hanuman of Ramayana, known for his undying loyalty to his master. Ramanand Sagar's teleserial has had that big an impact on the Indian psyche!

RIP Dara Singhji. My humble prayers for your eternal peace!



Tailpiece.

This is just in jest and not in any way am I laughing at the departed soul's efforts on celluloid. But I must let out a secret that used to be the cause of mirthy laughter among me and my course mates.

In the movie 'Sikander-e-Azam', Dara Singhji as Sikander in an emotional outburst comes out with this statement, "Selucus, mera koda le aa". And after that the camera pans him on horseback where he's shown without any further emotions!

    

No comments:

Post a Comment