Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Memories in flow.

I still remember the enthusiastic welcome that we used to get from the Sri Lankan and the Indian fishermen while going about their fishing activity, in and around the Palk Bay. The colourful sails and buntings that adorned the boats gave the entire area a festive look. All of them seemed mighty pleased to have us amid them and anticipated peaceful days ahead thanks to our formidable presence. Often, the boats used to come close to our ships offering fish, from their catch, as gifts for free.

And our operation was code named 'Aman'. Those were heady days!

                  *                                   *                                 *

One of the first Sri Lankan naval officers whom I'd befriended was Cdr Swaraj Munusinghe, the captain of their command surveillance vessel, on deployment, off the seaward side of Jaffna. Our professional interactions got us to understand each other better and I can never forget the gift that he'd presented me with - a brand new squash racket (after hearing that I played the game) autographed by the then world champion, Jahangir Khan - in return to the official ship's crest that I'd presented!

                  *                                    *                                 *

One of the important and salient landmarks that we used to pass by, on our voyage from Madras to Kankesanthurai , was the imposing and majestic Velankanni church at Nagapattinam. I, as well as my boys, said our silent prayers whenever we passed by the architecturally symmetric beauty!

Similarly, during our numerous passes on patrol, the imposing sight of Sri Ramchandraji's temple at Rameswaram was a welcome one and again where people offered their prayers, irrespective of caste, creed or religion. I can, without any hesitation, say that we in the defence forces respect each and every religion without restraint or reservation!

                   *                                   *                                 *

Similarly, I can never forget my first visit to the Elephant Pass that had seen some fierce fighting between the Sri Lankan forces and the Tamil militants. Stories of the area having been heavily booby trapped and mined did not deter me from my visit to my army course mate and counterpart, to spend an informative couple of hours. I remember the pass against the backdrop of the greenish-blue waters of the lagoon to be a beautiful sight despite its battle scarred background!











No comments:

Post a Comment