Sunday, July 8, 2012

Recap of an event 50 years later!

1047h - Ramadasan kochachan and Sarojini chittamma relived the 'muhurtam' of their marriage which took place 50 years ago, at the Chengannur devi temple. Garlands were exchanged and I'd the privilege of draping shawls to honour them for having achieved this milestone! Gifts were given and sweets distributed to all those present at the devi temple near their home at the Trimurthy chowk.

The ceremonies at the temple were followed by the cutting of the anniversary cake at home and we'd the entire neighbourhood observing the chain of events as they're witness to something unique! And the final icing on the cake was the traditional lunch served on banana leaves.

It was in the afternoon, that the immediate family had taken off to Shirdi as Rema and Achu had never been there, before. The 'darshan' was comparatively easier and for me and Lekha, it was our second darshan after a gap of four years.

PS.

I'd begun the morning with the first few lines of an old, popular Malayalam song - in my guttural voice, of course - to describe my uncle and aunt's relationship and I reproduce them below:-

     "Vrischika thoniyil akkare pokaan ethidaamo penne
       Chirayankeezhile penne........

       Ninne kandaal mayangi nilkum thoni
       Ninne kaanaathirunnaal madichu nilkum thoni........."

They're eternally in love, which is the fantastic thing about them and I simply adore them for that!


Tailpiece.

VIP @ Rs.100/- At Shirdi, after showing my Identity card, I'd to pay Rs.100/-  for the VIP pass and consequently, shown a separate passageway to reach the Baba. Two things struck me during the whole exercise and they were:-
       (a) whatever be the passageway, the melee that one has to go through to reach the sanctum
             sanctorum remains as complicated as ever despite the presence of the trust's volunteers.

       (b) is the Rs. 100/- per VIP pass, thrust on unsuspecting pilgrims, a fraud being perpetuated by
             unscrupulous guys of the security apparatus or is it a way to discourage short cuts? None
             of the trustees were available/able to answer!

 PS.
I must admit that to be a VIP @ Rs. 100/- is damn cheap. I felt 'soiled' after the entire episode and wondered as to why I'd taken the easier path. Sad! And I shall never forgive myself for this lapse!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment