Wednesday, July 11, 2012

How we tempt fate - a case study.

I'd my cousin, Harilal, giving us a big surprise when he fetched up at home this evening. We're seeing him after a gap of almost six months after my dad's funeral. It's not that he keeps in touch with me regularly as he has a standard excuse in that he doesn't even own a cellphone! His words, as he entered the house were, "Chetta, I was passing through and felt the urge to meet you and so, here I am".

Harilal has extraordinary intelligence, a photographic memory and is a stickler for details. He's an additional secretary in one of the south lying panchayats of the state and holds enormous clout in his area of responsibility, with his professional competence. He has the gift of the gab and thanks to his outgoing nature, he makes friends with people with the least amount of fuss. He's endowed with enormous patience and is a good listener which endears him to people!

Having said all about him thus, he has a problem within his immediate family. He's philosophical in his reflections and to quote him, "You don't get everything in life and I do not have any cribs about it". To ward off the inner pain, he frequently withdraws into his shell and remains incommunicado and it's during those times that he seeks the help of alcohol or at times, even smokes pot! It has taken a toll on him, in that, from the handsome young man that he was once upon a time, he now has a withered look. But he's quick to assert that he doesn't take any medicine unlike many of his counterparts!!

He's in possession of a hip flask, always filled with his favourite spirit and finds nothing wrong in taking a swig at any time of the day or at any place, for that matter. And his explanation, "Chetta, I do not like to get tied up with restrictions on my life. I like to be a free bird".


Tailpiece.

I've heard of geniuses with peculiar behaviour that doesn't toe the line of established or socially accepted patterns. Harilal, perhaps, has his share of quirky behaviour but is a genuinely likeable guy. May God take care of him and it's my fervent prayer that no harm comes his way!

PS.

He'd kept me regaled with his renditions of poems from classic Malayalam literature because he's aware of the fact that I'm fond of them.



No comments:

Post a Comment