Monday, July 30, 2012

Memories....

 On being part of the IPKF.

Exactly a day and 25 years back, the Indo-Sri Lankan accord was signed against the backdrop of great expectations on both sides. With the LTTE reneging on the promise of de-arming itself, the accord did not really come into force all through and was doomed to being a failure.

Having been part of the Indian Peace Keeping Forces as the captain of a ship, I'd a ringside view of the operations. The close co-operation between the three services was great and help/assistance was available for the asking. I've picked some great friends on this tour of my duty. My own boys were a fantastic bunch who're willing to do anything on my bidding - it was, indeed, a heady feeling of power! One of the things that I'd looked forward to those days was the IL 76 flight from Madras to Delhi, on Fridays for the exclusive use of the IPKF and through this facility, I was able to meet my friends, the Banerjees, who're at Jalandhar.

The breaks, in between deployments, were breathers that I looked forward to. But having said that, I must hasten to add that the deployments were equally interesting with plenty of things to learn in the form of experiences and above all, an opportunity to get first hand knowledge of new places.

And of course, the high was when I was awarded the gallantry medal - for my exploits - as part of the '88 Republic day honours.






No comments:

Post a Comment