Thursday, July 5, 2012

Back to basics.

I could finally make it to the dentist on an appointment, that was long overdue. If I were to say that I was busy and thus couldn't make it all these days, I must confess that I'd be fibbing and can be rightly termed to be a congenital liar. Suffice to understand that I hadn't given my dental management the priority that it deserved because of the simple fact that my pearlies did not give me any problem.

But then, at the back of my mind, a voice kept telling me that a temporary filling had to be substituted with a permanent one and by jove, that should have been done long ago. Since I'm scheduled to be out of Kochi, on a long trip over the weekend, I'd decided to take up the appointment without much ado.

Dr. Glence was assigned to dispose off my case and I did have a long wait of an hour, which cut into my evening walk time and irritated me no end. The kid in me was almost ready to throw a tantrum! Was it a case of the doctors choosing patients on whom the efforts required would be comparatively less? Soon, I was ushered into one of the treatment rooms where the 'toothy' - the naval slang for the dentist - and her assistant were waiting. Little did I realise that the 'Mac Murphy's law' was going to take its course immediately after! The chair in the room had a whole lot of problems in that two of the drills were erratic and to make matters worse, the water wasn't flowing out through the tubes which was mandatory during treatment.

The hospital management, alongwith the doctor and her assistant, ushered me into an adjacent room rather apologetically, where all the systems were working. And the young lady began her work on my dentures, pronto, which included scaling and restoration(the terminology that indicates 'filling', these days!)

The doc, meanwhile, found that I wasn't brushing my teeth right though I'd sheepishly added that the poor state of my teeth was because I puffed on a pipe periodically and smoked cigarettes, during other times when time was at a premium. She, then, went on to show the correct way to brush, on a pair of portable dentures and I must admit that her patient explanation apprised me of the mistake that I was committing, all these years.


Tailpiece.

I find that the process of learning is never ending and thanks, Glence, for your perseverance. It's back to basics!

I must say that you're a good toothy and will do well as you go along. May God be with you in all your endeavours and keep smiling!


  

No comments:

Post a Comment