Wednesday, August 1, 2012

'Thattathin Marayathu'.

I saw the malayalam movie this evening. Roughly translated it means, 'Behind the veil'. And it's a refreshingly told love story!

It's love at first sight between Vinod, a Nair boy and Ayisha, a muslim girl somewhere in Kerala's northern hamlet of Thalasserry. The boy is a worker of the communist party and the film also essays the uneasy relationship that exists between the political parties and various religious groups. One of the protagonists makes a very poignant statement and I quote, "Here, you do not have the right to live life on your terms but it's dictated by others, who think that they are the custodians and consequently, know what's right for you".

The story has been tautly told, with abundant and good, clean humour thrown in while encompassing the essential features that actuate today's youth.

For me, watching the movie was another experience. Rarely did I hear anyone's cellphone ringing and though the little multiplex was crowded to capacity, there was pin drop silence as the audience was minutely savouring every bit of the conversation. Three college-going young ladies, who sat beside me, used to go into peels of laughter, every time humorous dialogues were exchanged by the characters on screen. It was fairly clear that they're seeing the movie for the umpteenth time and knew the dialogues by heart, to their last punctuation!

All in all, a movie worth watching that's truly an entertainer!


Tailpiece.

Malayalam movies are passing through exciting times, once again proving the adage that a good story when put across tastefully, will have the audience coming in droves!

PS.
I must confess that I came to know that the word 'thattam' meant a veil, only now. So much about my proficiency in Malayalam and that's the reason that I've begun my post in a sort of an unsure manner!

No comments:

Post a Comment