Friday, August 31, 2012

A long journey.

The day had begun with us driving off for Thiruvananthapuram from our ancestral house, after an early breakfast. The agenda was a family get together at my maman's new house - so it was a combination of the house warming activity with the family's conglomeration under my mom's stewardship. The drive was smooth and we're the first to reach as desired by mom.

There was a mishap enroute caused by my refusal to use the 'horn' at pedestrians. A passerby was seen rubbing his right elbow that had hit my car's left rear view mirror as he was flaying his arms in an animated discussion with his friend. Thankfully, there was no serious injury! I was flayed mercilessly by my co-passengers for my lapse, though.

As the family started filling up its quorum, there was much bonhomie and catching up that usually goes on during such occasions. And soon, it was time for lunch and return. It was another swift drive and after dropping mom, Minni and Ammu at home we're off on our onward trip to Kochi. The rains had begun and we're stuck on the highway thanks to the procession, south bound to Varkala for the 'chathayam day celebrations'. The beasts in the motorists were visible off and on but thankfully, the situation didn't last for more than an hour as continuous downpour dampened the enthusiasm of the participants, who scrambled towards nearby shelters! As a hapless motorist, I could only thank the rains for being god sent to help me and others like me, tide over a miserably, wretched situation!!

By the time we'd fetched up at our place, it was dinner time with the rains continuing to lash furiously!


Tailpiece.

A short break packed with a lot of activities and I was satisfied that every event chalked out on our calendar could be meticulously adhered to. It also gave me the privilege of meeting a whole lot of my relations during onam.

 An aunt, however, quipped and I quote, 'it was nice meeting you after quite a while but the meeting was too short because you'd to go early. I'd wanted the get together to go on and on'. My apologies to you on that score, ma'asi!

No comments:

Post a Comment