Saturday, August 4, 2012

That's the way!

Thankfully, it's more cheerful news from the London Olympics and I'm glad that my gloomy prediction on the outcome, a couple of days back, has been proved wrong! Sania has done us proud by winning the bronze medal in Badminton. I'd felt sorry for the young lady when she'd lost to the world's no.1 in the semifinals. Here's wishing her many more laurels and surely, the medal is testimony to her grit, determination and perseverence.

Having said that I've this serious doubt. Can't we Indians get past the Americans, the Chinese etc and be the number one in the overall medals tally in any of the future Olympic games? While sadly admitting that infrastructure wise we've a long way to go, that there's rampant corruption, groupism and vested interests playing havoc to the sporting system of the country, that sports has never been given its priority by us, as a people, can't an Indian ever be say, the fastest man on earth or the world record holding pole vaulter, high jumper, short putter or whatever?

Or is it that as a race, we're inferior to the Europeans, Africans or the Chinese and we can never hope to match their power or skills on the sporting arena let alone overcome them?

I simply can't believe that balderdash. We've it in us - I can say this from what I've seen of some of my classmates at school and coursemates at the Academy, if they'd the right guidance and were given the right opportunities, they'd have been world beaters in their respective sport!

As the first step, sports needs to be liberated from petty thinking and politicking. We need to accept that world beaters can be found in any corner of this nation irrespective of caste, creed, religion or region. Once they're identified, give them the best that we can afford and surely, one day we'll be heading the medals' tally in any international competition through their 'do-or-die' performances!

Am I speaking through my hat or am I living a Utopian dream?

No comments:

Post a Comment