Sunday, August 12, 2012

The marvel of technology!

Dateline 11 Aug.

The left aft rear tyre of my Cruze had been showing an air leakage for a while and since I was not slated to go on a long drive over the last fortnight, I was plain lazy to take up the repairs on a 'war footing'. But I couldn't avoid it any further and this morning, I'd gone to the JK Tyres outlet to get the needful done.

Many of my friends abroad would laugh reading this because they would have been in the know how of maintaining a tubeless tyre for the last so many years. Technology's delayed entry into our country needs to be taken in our stride due to the fact that we're a 'developing nation'!

But I must admit that it was my first experience because this was the first puncture after the car had clocked a trifle under 20,000 kms. The guys at the repair station were all business as they went about removing the tyre using their jigs and fixtures. I was curious to know as to why they say that even if a sharp object attaches itself to these tyres, one could drive on - without stopping - to a tyre fixing unit for defect rectification unlike the normal ones with tubes!

The villain was a 2" long nail that was removed and a 'teflon' like material was stuffed into the hole which is supposed to spread in a semi liquid state and cover the puncture as the tyre begins to run. No more 'tyre pincture'(as quoted from one of the roadside cycle/tyre repair shops of a Delhi roadside!) being set right by them for a measly Rs. 5/- or even Rs.10/- The flip side is that a cure for the tubeless is Rs.100/-

Well, good services will have to be paid for! I was impressed because the whole cycle of events took just over ten minutes and I could kick off on my long drive home soon after.

No comments:

Post a Comment