Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Why the dual personality?

I'm amazed by people who maintain a dual identity in their lives. While one comes across many who strain to wear too many hats at the same time in real life, it's very glaring to see people resort to it quite frequently, if not continuously, on social networks. What baffles me is that they seem to be content to fool all the people all the time - which is nigh impossible as per the laws of nature!

Just to give an insight into this vagary of human behaviour, I'd this person about whom I'm fairly well aware of since school days claiming to have read a short story written by a particular author. Unfortunately for him, what was transparent was that he'd not read the piece as the name that he'd trotted as its author was way off the mark! Why he did that defies me for the following reasons:-

        (a) Obviously, he wanted to be part of the conversation and was trying to put his best foot forward. But
              did he think that all the others would be unaware of the fact?
        (b) He was banking on the goodwill of the others, who'd keep quiet, giving him the benefit of the doubt
              and not give much credence to his follies. But did he forget that some can be real nasty?
        (c)  He wants to be an active part of the group where he's heard and appreciated. Then, why can't he
              be just his normal self ?

In fact, if I were him, I'd insist on being accepted in toto with my warts and my moles!

Looking through the prism of 'Transactional Analysis', he's a classic example of an individual needing 'strokes' from the others and therefore, playing the psychological game, 'kick me'.


Tailpiece.

It's prudent to belong to a group where one's considered an equal and for the endearing personal qualities.  These cannot be faked and as they say, 'truth will out' - there will be no strain if you remain your normal self, always and every time!

No comments:

Post a Comment