Thursday, August 9, 2012

Now that calls for diplomacy!

I'm back to trivia concerning our residents' welfare association and naturally, some of you might even ask, 'why, if it's trivia?' My answer is that it gives an insight into human behaviour - as to what actuates it and makes one do things that one wouldn't think of doing in the normal sense.

This evening, as I was going around the residential area to take in the extent of cleanliness, two gentlemen accosted me to say that putting up new notice boards in the main foyers of each of the three main buildings was unnecessary and rounded it off by saying that it was a 'wastefull expenditure of our money'. The fact that one among them happened to be my predecessor touched me to the quick. There, of course, was a better side to the episode in which a third gentleman, who'd joined us just then told me that he'd take on two vexed issues and will have them sorted out by the end of the month!

The interaction did exercise my mind as I went about my walk. On my return, my predecessor called me up and began with a note of apology. While agreeing to the need for the notice boards, he said that he'd voiced his opinion against the project simply because it was conceived and executed by DB - I shall restrict it to his initials - and was turned down by him during his tenure at the helm!

I could only tell him that I'd stand by the decision as it was cleared by me and therefore, the buck stopped with me.


Tailpiece.

The beauty of the whole thing is that my predecessor - a hyperactive Bong who's quite fond of me - is a genuine guy whose relentless efforts have given the colony its swanky look. And it's this indulgence of his that the team needs!

So, diplomacy is the need of the hour to avoid antagonising anyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment