Saturday, October 26, 2013

A day that buzzed past!

Apologies for the unscheduled break. The fault is mine but more about it later.

Dateline 25 Oct.

Half an hour before midnight, I'd boarded the train for Payyannur to be at the Indian Naval Academy at Ezhimala, on work. The train was on time and had arrived at the destination on the dot and Roshan Lal, my liaison officer, was efficiency personified! The drive up the hills was exhilarating and the pristine landscape all around was looking all spruced up and fresh due to the spell of rains  during the night. It was business as usual and after a late but hurried lunch, I was back at the railway station to catch my train to return home.

Five of my colleagues from the railways - with whom I'd interacted during the forenoon session - were my co-passengers and it was a great interaction with them during the journey. The tremendous love and affection that they shower upon me humbles me and makes me wonder as to whether I'm really eligible for all those finer emotions.

It was my privilege of getting to know a fine family - that consisted of a distinguished space scientist couple, their school going daughter and the sprightly, 86 year old matriarch, Madhavi. She has an elegance that stands out and a personality that's extremely lovable and I must say that I was bowled over. But being the shy guy that I am, I'd taken a while to interact with the family and must add that it was Lukose, the simple and straight-talking railwayman, who was with us, who was the prime mover!

Our discussions had covered a wide range of topics - about life in general - but looking back at the whole interaction, I think I didn't allow them to speak as I was filling them up with I, me and myself! A weakness that I don't seem to rid myself off!! Gosh, will I change, ever? The taste of the Vadakara 'unni appam' and a banana - from an organic garden - that they'd offered me continues to linger in my palate.

It was half an hour past midnight when I bid farewell to them so that Girish, my 'saarthi', could take me back home. To be frank, I was under the impression that the young man was fond of his tots because of his looks but a police detail that had checked him enroute on that score found him to be squeaky clean! Sorry, Girish, for reading you wrong and yes, appearances can be deceptive!!


Tailpiece.

By the time I'd a light dinner and we'd hit the sack, it was one. And the new day ahead looked fairly long!

No comments:

Post a Comment