Thursday, October 3, 2013

The Chinese tourist and another yarn!

A collage of thoughts for the day. And here I go.

 (a) The Chinese tourist.

 There has been an overwhelming chorus from various quarters that the Chinese tourist was the most
 indisciplined on a comparative basis with his counterparts from other countries. I'd pooh-poohed it, then,
 as one of those statistics that did not have a valid standing but with the news that China has, indeed, come
 out with a code of conduct for its tourists/travellers validate the statement. And the instructions are:-

      (i) Do not pick nose in public.
     (ii) Keep hair-in-the-nostrils trimmed.
    (iii) Picking the teeth with fingers is banned.
    (iv) Do not stay too long in public toilets.
     (v) No footprints on the toilet seat, please.
    (vi) Don't pee in the swimming pools.
   (vii) No slurping sounds while eating noodles.
  (viii) Don't steal life jackets from flights.

 My take.

 (i) If one were to ask me, many of these strictures are applicable to all tourists across the board.
 (ii) What makes the Chinese to take liberties when he's out of his country? Stifling regulations and lack of
     freedom at home?
 (iii) And how'd they confirm conformity?

 (b) The hunt for the trousseau.

 Malu, my cousin, and her aunts had set off from home at about a half past 10 for selecting her trousseau.
 Her wedding is slated for the 31st of this month at Guruvayur. Would you believe me when I say that they'd
 returned after task accomplishment by about 2000 hrs? Translates to over ten hours of continuous shopping
 with about two short breaks for snacking! Shopping for a wedding has gotten very innovative and just to
 describe one - the would-be-bride is dressed in various outfits by the attendants at the outlet to identify
 the most suited attire, the appropriate colour and the shade. The matching footwear and the hairstyle are
 also suggested!

 Boy, I'm impressed. The Malayali woman now endeavours to look good with a purpose. We've indeed
 come a long way!!


Tailpiece.

1. We're passing through exciting times!
2. Thank god, I hadn't accompanied the ladies on their shopping spree though I was invited. I'd politely refused because frankly, I don't have the patience!!



  

No comments:

Post a Comment