Monday, October 28, 2013

I'm a bad driver. QED.

I'd driven my Chevy to work this morning and realised that there was a persistent low, grumbling noise emanating from the left side of the chassis at slower speeds(< 25 kmph). There wasn't any problem from the point of view of driving but the unwanted noise did bother me and which I gave a miss, the moment I'd entered my office. It was in the afternoon, prior to going home for lunch that I noticed that the front bumper had come apart from its original moorings at the driver's end and that there was a bit of a bend at its extremity.

And Eureka, the tube light in my brain suddenly lit up - the cause of the rumbling noise that I'd heard during the morning drive was established beyond doubt. As I drove through the afternoon traffic, I'd to quickly formalise an action plan. Giving up on my afternoon siesta, rather reluctantly, I'd driven straight to the Geeyem Motors for initiating remedial action as we've a trip planned for Guruvayur this coming Wednesday, to attend my cousin's wedding.

The customer care executive was businesslike and went about his task of assessing the damage and the extent of work - I shudder to think as to what he thought about this latest visit of mine. Perhaps, something like this, "There comes the blighter after getting into another muddle. Thanks to his driving prowess, the company's gonna make a quick buck. God, may there be more customers like him!"

They'd given me a drop at my office after estimating the costs at a little over Rs. 20 grand! Well, it's a sure process of learning against my depleting pocket!!


Tailpiece.

And how did I manage this new 'medal' for my Chevy? On Saturday, while casting off from under the clump of trees in front of my house at Guruvayur, the front bumper had got entangled with one of the logs heaped close by and thinking it to be a minor hurdle, I'd forced my car on the reverse and the damage was done. That it didn't impede the return trip and as the mechanic had said, that I could drive with the existing problem without worry, show the ruggedness of the car.

But I've taken the 'desirable' option as I do not want it to fester into a larger defect!  

No comments:

Post a Comment