Saturday, October 12, 2013

The moment of reckoning!

After having breakfast with mom and giving her the morning round of medicines, we'd left for my cousin's place to board the maxicab that was to convey the eleven of us to the Marthoma church at Thiruvalla - the venue of Niki's wedding. Though scheduled to kick off at 0800h, by the time everyone in their carefully chosen silks of their Sunday best had fetched up and boarded the vehicle, it was a quarter past 8. It was a sing song session throughout the journey and I did lend support to the few good singers among us with my off key rendition just because I was aware of the lyrics a wee bit more than the others.

The traffic wasn't that bad and hence, we're able to cover the three quarters of the distance well within time and we'd disembarked at a wayside motel for having a cup of coffee and to stretch our legs - actually, an excuse to have a round of photography! And I was the group's photographer!!

The happiness writ large on Suzie's face, the moment she saw us at the church before the commencement of the mass and the other connected ceremonies, made my day. The serene atmosphere, the dignified aura and the tight gathering of guests and relatives made it an occasion to remember. And as I've said earlier, I look forward to attend a church wedding as I simply adore the traditions and customs associated with the occasion!

About 45 minutes of homily, conducted by the priest, pronounced Niki and Suja, man and wife at the end of it and soon after, the couple had changed into their next rig to meet the guests formally in their new 'avatar'. And it took some time for us to reach the couple as there was a lengthy photography session with their friends from the professional front. I must confess that I wasn't prepared for young Niki's actions as we're meeting after a gap of almost five years.

He touched mine as well as Lekha's feet, hugging us before and after and insisted upon his wife to follow suit - which she did - and I was reminded of Suzie's words which I quote, yet again, "You must come for the function to stand in for Rebu". And within that minutely small period of time, I'd asked my God to give the couple a long and happy married life with all that they wish for.

And then we broke bread and departed from the venue, soon after.


Tailpiece.

In the process, I'd done something blasphemous(?). I'd tucked in a generous helping of the non vegetarian food on offer, only to realise - why it dawned on me only at the end of it all and not at the beginning, beats my comprehension - that it was Dussehra and I'd breached the code of conduct expected of me of being a strict vegetarian.

Must ask god for a generous dose of forgiving!      

No comments:

Post a Comment