Saturday, September 22, 2018

The prayer of an unknown soldier.....

This time I don't want your hollow salutes
This time I don't want your hollow commendations
This time I don't want your crocodile tears
This time I don't want your fetish sadness or anger
This time I don't want your boisterous tweets
This time I don't even want your money
This time I don't even want your medals and chakras
This time keep all the above to yourselves
This time I just want to know for whom I die and 
 for what I do the things I do. 

- By an unknown, martyred soldier.

      *                      *                        *

We reached 'The Quarterdeck' by about a half past 1. The road between Kozhikode and Guruvayur, via Kadalundi and Tirur was bad. The guests were quickly distributed into the rooms - the Srivastava brothers in the lower bedroom, Maman and Saji in mom's bedroom, Ravi in the sitting room while Rajesh preferred to sleep in the car itself. The idea was to grab a quick round of sleep before going for the early morning 'darshan' of Guruvayurappan. While Lekha looked after the guests, I made a quick check of the bedrooms and the linen, changing an odd one here and another, there.

They were up by about a quarter past 3 and left for the temple by 4. An hour later, they'd returned from the 'darshan' and Maman and Saji left for Thiruvananthapuram in Rajesh's car. The Srivastavas and Ravi had breakfast by 7 and were off to Ernakulam by 8.

      *                      *                        *

The News Views. 

1. The Bishop Arrested.

Franco Mulackal, after hours of grilling by the police, has been remanded to two days' police custody. His anticipatory bail was turned down by the court as the police had argued it that way in the light of fresh revelations of his misdeeds.

2. Charges and counter charges.

Charges and counter charges, on the Rafale deal, have been hurled by the Congress party and the BJP. The fresh level of accusations are based on an interview with the former President of France, Francois Hollande. To me it appears that the accusations are being levelled without getting the full gist of the interview.


Tailpiece.

(a) The heat has become unbearable.
(b) Commander Abhilash Tommy has been rendered out of the circumnavigation of the globe because of two mishaps:-
      (i) His boat has been dismasted, courtesy the bad weather.
     (ii) He has sustained severe back injury.
May the rescuers reach him as quickly as possible. He's somewhere in the Indian Ocean and is being searched for.    

No comments:

Post a Comment