Tuesday, May 16, 2023

This day, 32 years ago........

 A milestone of my life!

32 years back, on 16 May 1991, Lekha and I had got married at the Brahmana Samooham Hall, in the vicinity of the Kottarakkara Maha Ganapathi kshetram. Some snippets from that eventful day.

 (a) Soon after the wedding, I was sitting among the guests between my Ammachi (Mrs PN Panicker) and her sister when she said, "Ini enikku marichaalum prayaasamilla". Never did I realise, then, that it would turn out to be prophetic because she'd passed into the mist of time 69 days later, on 25 Jul.

 (b) Rema, my sister immediately younger to me, was the prime mover in getting this marriage to its logical conclusion. She was the one who had predicted that I would like her!

 (c) Till then, I'd told my parents and sisters that I'd see only one girl because I hated seeing too many girls and in the process, keep drinking tea/eat sweets for no rhyme or reason.

 (d) I must confess that I'd liked Lekha because she was slim. However, paradoxically, I've never seen her slim after the first two years of our marriage.

 (e) It was during her medically traumatic times, during late '93, that she showed a solid quality of hers - she's a fighter!

 (f)  I was to undergo the 47th Staff Course at the Defence Services Staff College, at Wellington, Ooty from Jun '91. My course mates and many of my friends had concluded that I'd meticulously planned my way to the hill station soon after my marriage! 

 (g) Whereas I was 36 years of age then, Lekha is 14 years younger to me. (A sort of cradle snatching, I did, huh!).

 (h)  At the College, we'd become instantly famous, as I used to drive a two-door jalopy - the Standard Herald 'Cleopatra' - those days and it was the oldest vehicle plying around there! 

Today, as we cut our anniversary cake baked by Lekha, herself, the 32 years that we'd traversed thus far, whizzed past in 'fast forward' mode. It has been a mix of happy times and sad times. Must emphatically say that we've enjoyed every minute of it!

We'd Aswathy - our maid - as guest and she undertook to provide photographic cover of the cake cutting event! 

No comments:

Post a Comment